Sunday, June 15, 2014

OBIEE - Can't open catalog Offline or create new catalog

Readers digest: On my OBIEE server (11.1.1.7.140527) I couldn't open catalog offline (using catalog manager) or create new catalog. That was because of a row in my instanceconfig.xml stating: <UpdateAccountGUIDs>UpdateAndStartNormally</UpdateAccountGUIDs>
Once removed all worked fine.

Lets do the longer version:
For various reasons in my instanceconfig.xml file (located at MWHOME\instances\instance1\config\OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent\coreapplication_obips1) I had the following section:
     <Catalog>
         <UpgradeAndExit>false</UpgradeAndExit>
         <UpdateAccountGUIDs>UpdateAndStartNormally</UpdateAccountGUIDs>
    </Catalog>
 It's useful for certain cases.

When i tried to open the Catalog Offline (using Catalog Manager - runcat.cmd / runcat.sh), I had an error:
"Error initializing/loading existing Catalog: E:\mwhome\instances\instance1\bifoundation\OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent\coreapplication_obips1\catalog\SampleAppLite" 

 To check what is wrong I tried to create a new catalog. Creating a new catalog is a simple operation described in the System Administration Guide, chapter 17:
To manually create a new catalog:
1. Stop the service for Presentation Services.
The Oracle BI Server and WebLogic Server must be running.
2. Specify a new location (one that does not exist) for the catalog on the Repository tab of the Deployment page in Fusion Middleware Control.
See Section 10.2, "Using Fusion Middleware Control to Upload a Repository and Set the Oracle BI Presentation Catalog Location."
3. Ensure that the new location for the catalog is empty.
4. Save your changes and close the file.
5. Restart Presentation Services.


In my case I had an error to start Presentation Services. In sawlog.log file
(located at MWHOME\instances\instance1\diagnostics\logs\OracleBIPresentationServicesComponent\coreapplication_obips1) I could see: 
[OBIPS] [ERROR:1] [] [saw.catalog.local.loadCatalog] [ecid: ] [tid: ] Cannot create new catalog while running in update GUID or recover mode
and
[OBIPS] [ERROR:10] [] [saw.catalog.local.loadCatalog] [ecid: ] [tid: ] Catalog creation failed: Deleting incomplete directories.
Now I understood what is wrong. I removed the <UpdateAccountGUIDs>UpdateAndStartNormally</UpdateAccountGUIDs> from instanceconfig.xml. I could start the Presentation Server and all worked fine. I could both create a new catalog and open the old one offline.

No comments:

Post a Comment